- Erez Avissar
- Sayonara, Death Grips!
Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• About the new research program funded by the Department of Defense to "model the dynamics, risks and tipping points for large-scale civil unrest across the world"? —Ben Sachs
• That after a court ruling today, taxpayers will continue to cover the pension of former police commander Jon Burge, who was convicted of lying about the torture of black men in custody? —Mick Dumke
• That with a little abracadabra and hocus-pocus, CPS has patched the potholes in next year's budget, but that it will need more bibbidi-bobbidi-boo the year after? —Steve Bogira
• About the Pennsylvania high school that canceled a production of Monty Python's Spamalot because of its "gay content"? (Don't go thinking it's a prejudice thing: the principal reportedly told the school's drama director that there just aren't any homosexuals in their community.) —Tony Adler
• About the International Conference on Men's Issues, held last weekend in Detroit? —Aimee Levitt
• About what Ira Glass is up to these days, apart from being a song-and-dance man? —Kate Schmidt
• About Ted Peckham's Guide Escort Service, which, during the Depression, paired impecunious Ivy League grads with wealthy single ladies who wanted to enjoy a night on the town but weren't allowed into swanky joints without male escorts? —Aimee Levitt
• That Death Grips broke up and have canceled their appearance at the upcoming Pitchfork Music Festival? —Tal Rosenberg