- Andrew Horne/Wikimedia Commons
- Pure misery!
Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• That Forbes.com says Chicago is America's fourth-most miserable city, right after Rockford, Flint, and, number one, Detroit? —Deanna Isaacs
• The interactive, crowd-sourced tally of the number of people killed by guns since Newtown? (The data—which is "necessarily incomplete"—has Chicago way at the top of the list, with 62 gun deaths since December 14.) —Mara Shalhoup
• That the Chicago Audobon Society president thinks that "people have the wherewithal to correct the problem" of feral cats—which is to say, are willing to have them euthanized? —Kate Schmidt
• About the weird, gruesome death of a census worker? —Sam Worley
• About how junk food companies "optimize" your snacks, or, the real reason Doritos don't taste like anything besides the sensation of taste? —Jena Cutie
• That Pizza Hut used to have a mascot that looked like "a police sketch of a man trying to lure children into a dark room"? (And lots of other bad, bygone brand logos and mascots.) —Gwynedd Stuart
• This Chicagocentric look at instrument theft? —Leor Galil
• Another Buzzfeed list, this time "The Top 15 Most Badass People That You've Never Heard Of"? —Tal Rosenberg
• About the outstanding health benefits of having a beard? —Luca Cimarusti