Who's going to win the Kentucky Derby? This is the weakest field in years, so there's no bet-the-farm pick, but here are five horses worth risking your money on and the odds you should look for Saturday.
(1) Street Sense just might be the first Breeders' Cup juvenile winner to wear the roses. Upsides: he has the highest speed figure in the field, he's won at Churchill Downs, and his workout this week was "perfect" (there's a video of it here). Downside: he's only raced twice this year. Bet him at 9-2.
(2) Scat Daddy has won two races at a mile and an eighth: the Florida Derby and the Fountain of Youth. The last horse to capture both those preps was Thunder Gulch, who went on to win the Derby. Bet Scat Daddy at 6-1.
(3) Any Given Saturday may be this year's sleeper. He had a bad trip in the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct, where he was forced to run wide the whole race. But his figures are as good as anyone's in this field. Bet him at 8-1.
(4) Curlin turned in the most dominating race of the year, winning the Arkansas Derby by ten lengths. Critics say he beat a bunch of pigs and point out that the last horse to win the Derby without racing as a two-year-old was Apollo, in 1882. Bet him at 9-1.
(5) Circular Quay : Circular Quay looked terrific winning the Louisiana Derby, but he hasn't been seen on a racetrack in nearly two months. If there's a killer pace this come-from-behind horse has a shot at winning--but that's not likely. Bet him at 12-1.