* David Brearley has a moving account of being 15, gay, and on his own in Chicago.
* Beachwood has a roundup of Sunday's chaotic, tragic marathon.
* How the weird heat affects local gardening.
* Beachwood also has some salient words of wisdom, inspired by the banning of hugs at an Oak Park (natch) middle school: "It's a never-ending battle against the soulless killjoys of the world. It's a battle each generation must fight. It's a battle in which we must never retreat, never surrender to the forces of total lameness."
* The U. of I. is going all Web 2.0 to track feral bees, in part to figure out what the hell is happening to bees around the country. David Byrne thinks agribusinesses are killing them off. I think they're in a dome in Texas.
* South American gangs are apparently targeting local jewelry salespeople.