Sign up for our newsletters Subscribe
Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director Riccardo Muti, who startled the audience (and the city) by bowing out of Saturday night's CSO gala concert at the very last minute and then canceling the rest of his fall season, apparently hasn't been feeling well since arriving in Chicago last month. CSO president Deborah Rutter told WBEZ on Monday that Muti had been struggling privately with his health for several weeks, and word is that he was clearly ill at rehearsal Saturday afternoon. According to a statement issued Sunday by the CSO, the maestro, "suffering from extreme gastric distress," would return to Italy to "consult with his doctors." In retrospect, Muti's admonition to the massive crowd at CSO's Millennium Park concert September 19 seems pointed: "Music directors come and go," he said.