Sign up for our newsletters Subscribe
"Smart is the new sexy"—and the way to get smarter is by reading newspapers, says the campaign of the Newspaper Association of America, a trade group. "Be able to find Iran on a map," one ad suggests. "Know what the city council is up to behind closed doors. Find out how to make an icebox peanut butter pie from scratch. Get it all in the newspaper, print or digital, because a little depth looks great on you."
"Who wants to go to a cocktail party and not know what's going on in the world?" asks Mike Hughes in the New York Times. Hughes is president of the Martin Agency, which created the campaign. "You'll be sexier if you're current with what's going on in the world," he promises.
Ergo, this current events quiz. Use the links to the newspaper sites to find the answers and raise your odds of a little home delivery tonight.
1. Prince Nayef bin Abdul Aziz is expected to assume what position this week?
a. Prime minister of Jordan
b. Crown prince of Saudi Arabia
c. Cubs general manager
2. President Obama today will be in the foreclosure capital of the nation, which is
3. The Bears beat Tampa Bay yesterday in
a. Soldier Field
b. Wembley Stadium
c. the Roman Colosseum
4. What upgrade is about to be made to the CTA el system?
a. new rail cars
b. "meet-your-mayor" booths at major stations
c. washrooms on the Red Line
5. The leader of Libya's transitional government
a. added women to the Transitional National Council
b. said he would push for equal rights for women
c. lifted restrictions on how many wives a man can have
6. Who is winning the World Series?
a. the Saint Louis One Percenters
b. the Texas One Percenters
c. the series is tied.