Shows to see: The Eternals, Man Forever, Paul Cary | Bleader

Shows to see: The Eternals, Man Forever, Paul Cary



The Eternals-Espiritu Zombi Group
  • The Eternals-Espiritu Zombi Group
I just read a Wired/Ars Technica article about how USB thumb drives and 3G data networks have made sharing samizdat media considerably easier for North Koreans, who are prohibited from (among about a million other things) accessing media originating outside what the government considers the better of the two Koreas. According to the story, the illicit importation of South Korean music and TV shows has helped expose the North Korean government's lies about the superior quality of life for the average citizen, and has encouraged a minor revolution in the form of sharing banned files. Which if you know anything about the hypersugary South Korean pop music that's probably being widely traded, is completely amazing and baffling in a postmodern kind of way.

In America, of course, we are free to listen to whatever we want. Exercise your right to do so by going out to see some live music. A couple of suggestions, after the jump:

Mon 6/11: The Eternals at Millennium Park

Having spent a considerable chunk of yesterday afternoon in a park snacking and hanging out doing pretty much nothing, I can attest that we are firmly into lazing-about-outdoors season. My iPhone weather app says there's a 60 percent chance of rain during the Eternals and Wild Belle's concert tonight at Pritzker Pavilion, but if you look at it another way there's a 40 percent chance that it won't rain, and a 100 percent chance that the Eternals will bring the funk in a serious and fascinatingly strange way. For this evening's performance they're expanding to a ten-piece group drawn from the city's jazz, experimental, and rock scenes, which I can only assume will sound totally berserk. Pack a rain poncho with your hummus and microbrews or whatever and you'll be fine.

Tue 6/12: Man Forever at Burlington

Oneida rules, and so does Man Forever, the new project from drummer John "Kid Millions" Colpitts. He uses Man Forever to indulge his passion for droning but intense psychedelia—Bill Meyer calls it "body music that you'll feel to your core"—and his promiscuousness when it comes to musical collaborators. For his Chicago performance he's recruited a band of locals that includes Tortoise's Doug McCombs, Plastic Crimewave Sound's Steve Krakow, and jazz drummer extraordinaire Michael Zerang, which makes two never-to-be-repeated performances by assemblages of Chicago talent in two consecutive days. Not a bad way to start a week.

Wed 6/13: Paul Cary & the Small Scaries at Burlington

Also appearing in the cozy Burlington back room—which in the short time it's been open has already become a favorite local venue—is Chicagoan Paul Cary. A former member of scuzzy Iowan garage band the Horrors (not to be confused with the famouser Horrors from the UK), Cary has since mellowed out considerably. But he's still "following garage's roots all the way back to the jazzy prewar blues that helped set the stage for the birth of rock 'n' roll," as I wrote about him a year ago.