Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• That a New York police officer had lots of Internet chats about kidnapping, murdering, torturing, and eating women—including his wife—and now a jury will decide whether he's a criminal or just really creative? —Gwynedd Stuart
• That the Illinois Centennial Monument in Logan Square is getting a lighting makeover? —Tal Rosenberg
• That "retired" isn't the word: Judith Malina, legendary cofounder of the legendary Living Theater, has lost both the theater and her home? —Tony Adler
• Achy Obejas's tribute to Chicago poet David Hernandez, who died yesterday morning? —Tony Adler
• David Denby on the Academy Awards? ("The Oscars have become a bland, boring show, a sodden moneymaking event that enriches everyone from the Academy to the New York Times.") —Steve Bogira
• That the University of Alabama offered a football scholarship last weekend to an eighth-grader—and that's his second offer? —Mick Dumke