- C Jill Reed
- Tulsa: Now doesn't this look like a fun place to host the Olympics?
Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• That the United States is by far the most expensive country in which to have a baby, despite minimal differences in the quality or extent of care? (Actual costs for a conventional birth here are almost two and a half times as much in Switzerland, the next most expensive country; for a C-section, it's almost triple.) —Kate Schmidt
• David Samuels on Skybox, a start-up that plans to launch "a fleet of cheap, small, ultra-efficient imaging satellites" and revolutionize data collection? —Tal Rosenberg
• That plastic from body and facial scrubs is spreading through the Great Lakes ecosystem and getting into the bodies of fish? —Mick Dumke
• David Carr on journalists as activists? (Activism "can prompt discovery" but "can also impair vision.") —Steve Bogira
• This evenhanded assessment of Julia Gillard's political undoing? —Ben Sachs
• About Tulsa's potential bid to host the 2024 Olympics? —Aimee Levitt
• This handy guide to "intellectual" jokes? —Tony Adler