- Al Powers/Invision/AP
- "It's a Britney/Jesus musical, bitch."
Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• That astronomers now believe there may be 40 billion habitable earth-size planets in the galaxy? —Steve Bogira
• About the mounting empirical evidence that you need a break—not just from work, from your life? —Paul John Higgins
• How shifting politics are finally allowing researchers to explore potential medical applications of different strains of marijuana? —Mick Dumke
• About Emily Rapp's rocky 30-year history in therapy and how the one therapist who held her accountable and challenged her proved the most successful? —Kevin Warwick
• That the Jeff committee handed out its Equity awards last night? —Tony Adler
• Stephen Breyer on reading Proust? ("When you’re a judge and you spend your whole day in front of a computer screen, it’s important to be able to imagine what other people’s lives might be like, lives that your decisions will affect." Maybe Scalia should try it!) —Kate Schmidt
• Helen Vendler on poet Marianne Moore? —Tal Rosenberg
• That a new musical pairs the the story of Jesus with the songs of Britney Spears? (There's a one-time-only performance on Broadway this Thursday, so hop on a plane.) —Tony Adler
• About the Frankie Goes to Hollywood video game for the Commodore 64? —Kevin Warwick
• This ranking of the most tortured fans in baseball? (You probably won't even need to guess who's number one. The White Sox, though, are less tortured than you might think.) —Aimee Levitt
• Or listen to Ian MacKaye recount the time SNL's Lorne Michaels called him to see if he could gather some "authentic punks" to come to NYC and dance during Fear's 1981 performance on the show? —Kevin Warwick