- Don't mess around in this lady's courtroom.
Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• Vox's 23-page, sure to be noncontroversial explainer on Israel and Palestine that begins with the question "What are Israel and Palestine?" —Osita Nwanevu
• About Attorney General Eric Holder's defense of Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor's defense of affirmative action? —Mick Dumke
• Alex Pareene on why the New York Times should dismantle the op-ed page and start over from scratch? —Tal Rosenberg
• That the jackfruit (a large, smelly tree-borne fruit that grows all over southeast Asia) could be an effective replacement for staple crops under threat from climate change? —Ben Sachs
• That e-cigarettes are prone to, uh, explosions? —Drew Hunt
• The entry in Time's 100 Most Influential People list penned by Rahm about Ertharin Cousin? (Says our mayor: "That innate conscience and connection with the plight of others continues to fuel her sense of mission.") It's right before Karl Rove's contribution lauding the Koch brothers. —Mara Shalhoup
• About harrijasotzaile—a 100-year-old, giant-rock-lifting competition in the Basque region of Spain? —Jessica Cohn
• This obituary for Richard H. Hoggart, the professor and cultural historian who successfully convinced a British jury that Lady Chatterley's Lover was not obscene? —Aimee Levitt
• Peter Shapiro on the genius of Larry Levan? —Tal Rosenberg
• That influential Texas emo group Mineral is playing a reunion tour (and Chicago's Into It. Over It. is opening)? —Leor Galil
• About the roommates who made up a fake case to get on Judge Judy? —Brianna Wellen
• About Snacks Quarterly, a new online publication for the "distinguished snack enthusiast"? —Brianna Wellen