- Brian Kersey/Getty Images
- Mark Kirk is having a Don Imus moment.
Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, alarm, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• About Rachel Dolezal, head of the Spokane NAACP, who may be a white woman pretending to be black? —Tony Adler
• That abortion rights are shaping up to be a major talking point in the 2016 election? —Drew Hunt
• About the Louisiana inmate who is waiting to see if he'll be freed after 43 years in solitary confinement? —Mick Dumke
• That a British scholar has discovered 30 previously unknown poems by Katherine Mansfield just sitting in a folder in the Newberry Library? —Aimee Levitt
• That Senator Mark Kirk referred to unmarried presidential candidate Lindsey Graham as "a bro with no ho," a saying from "the street" that no one actually says? —Mick Dumke
• About luxury communism? —Drew Hunt
• About the trouble with "girls" in the lab—that is, with women scientists—according to British biochemist Tim Hunt, a Nobel laureate? (A: "You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them they cry.”) —Kate Schmidt
• And these responses from female scientists to Tim Hunt's sexist comments? —Sue Kwong
• About "slack fill," or how manufacturers save themselves money by putting smaller amounts of product into existing packaging and charging consumers the same price? —Aimee Levitt