Pope Francis meets with everyone.
Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, alarm, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read
• About how the Supreme Court justices spent their summer vacations
? —Kate Schmidt
• This facial feedback hypothesis
on smiling? —Sue Kwong
• The Vatican's official statement regarding Pope Francis's meeting with Kim Davis
? —Philip Montoro
• About declining interest in e-books
? —Aimee Levitt
• Brad Leithauser on John Updike
, in particular his "naked poetry" (e.g., "Fellatio," "Two Cunts in Paris," "The Beautiful Bowel Movement")? —Kate Schmidt
• That a county sheriff’s office in Santa Cruz is testing new tech
that, via an officer’s cell phone, alerts dispatchers when a deputy's gun is unholstered or fired? —Ryan Smith