Chicago Police News Affairs released the police dash-cam video Tuesday evening showing the fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald by Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke. (Warning: the footage posted above is graphic.)
Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder Tuesday and was suspended without pay.
McDonald, 17, was shot 16 times by officer Van Dyke on October 20, 2014, in Archer Heights. The fatal shooting was caught on the dash cam of an officer's vehicle, but was only released after a protracted legal battle. Journalist Brandon Smith sued CPD in August to force the release of the video.
Last week a judge ordered the video be released by November 25. Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police superintendent Garry McCarthy both spoke at a news conference immediately before the video's release.
Emanuel asked Chicagoans to "rise to the moment."
"I understand people will be upset and want to protest," said Emanuel. "But I want to echo the comments of the McDonald family, they don't want violence in Laquan's name. It is fine to be passionate, but it's essential to remain peaceful."
In a written statement, McCarthy said: "Across Chicago there are thousands of police officers who protect our communities every day with the highest professional standards. As the state’s attorney made clear, Jason Van Dyke’s actions violated those standards and also the moral standards that bind our community together. Rather than uphold the law, he took the law into his own hands, and it’s now up to the justice system to hold him accountable. But his actions are in no way a reflection of the dedication and professionalism that our police officers exemplify every day and that our residents expect throughout our city."
The city settled with McDonald's family for $5 million in June; the lawyers in the case had obtained a copy of the video. According to the details of the settlement, the attorneys themselves couldn't release the video to the public until the Independent Police Review Authority finalized its investigation.