Chicago reportedly on pace to see more than 730 homicides in 2016, and other news | Bleader

Chicago reportedly on pace to see more than 730 homicides in 2016, and other news

by

Sign up for our newsletters Subscribe

1 comment
Antoinette Marshabanks and Sharon Miles hold photos of their murdered sons as they protest the rise in homicides across the city. - JOSHUA LOTT/GETTY IMAGES
  • JOSHUA LOTT/GETTY IMAGES
  • Antoinette Marshabanks and Sharon Miles hold photos of their murdered sons as they protest the rise in homicides across the city.

Welcome to the Reader's morning briefing for Wednesday, November 2, 2016.

  • Weather: A thunderstorm is possible

It will be warm again Wednesday, with a high of 66 and a low of 52. Thunderstorms and/or rain are likely during the day and into the evening. [AccuWeather]

  • Chicago could see more than 730 homicides in 2016

There have been more than 600 homicides in Chicago for the first time since 2003, and there are still two months left of the year. If the bloodshed continues at its current pace, the death toll could reach more than 730 by the end of the year, according to the Washington Post. Eighteen people were killed last weekend, making it the deadliest weekend of 2016 so far. [Washington Post]

  • About 500 kids conduct "Halloween purge" in Hyde Park

Around 500 teenagers gathered in Hyde Park Monday night for what they described as a "Halloween purge." The kids fought, threw eggs, and shot paintball guns, according to DNAinfo Chicago. The gathering drew a large response from the Chicago Police Department, and ten youths were arrested. One arrested teen also climbed into a police van and allegedly tried to steal a cop's cell phone. [DNAinfo Chicago]

  • City settles CPD whistleblower case for $2 million; Rahm avoids witness stand

The city will settle a federal lawsuit filed by two police whistle-blowers for $2 million. Officers Shannon Spalding and Daniel Echeverria sued the city because their Chicago Police Department supervisors allegedly retaliated against them after they helped the FBI build a case against Sergeant Ronald Watts and Officer Kallatt Mohammed, who were allegedly shaking down drug dealers. Mayor Rahm Emanuel would have had to testify on the witness stand if the lawsuit went to trial. [WBEZ]

  • Judge rules that the Double Door no longer has to close by December 31

The legendary Double Door music venue no longer has to close on December 31. A Cook County circuit court judge has ruled that the venue can stay in its Wicker Park location "until our appeal rights are exhausted," the club's attorney Cary Schiff told the Tribune. "Now the club will stay open while we go before the Appellate Court and give our arguments, and that takes a substantial amount of time," Schiff said. It's a win for Double Door owners Joe Shanahan and Sean Mulroney, who have been considering moving the club to Logan Square. [Tribune]

  • Cubs infielder Javier Baez could get an honorary street in Humboldt Park

Alderman Roberto Maldonado wants to give Cubs player and Puerto Rico native Javier Baez an honorary street designation in Humboldt Park. "He's been an outstanding player. He really has blossomed during the playoffs," Maldonado, who proposed the ordinance Tuesday, said "Javier 'Javy' Baez Way" would be close to Little Cubs Field, on the west side of Luis Munoz Marin Drive running from Sacramento Avenue to Division Street. [Tribune]



Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

 

Add a comment