Illinois senate Republican leader Christine Radogno to resign as budget deadline looms, and other Chicago news | Bleader

Illinois senate Republican leader Christine Radogno to resign as budget deadline looms, and other Chicago news

by

4 comments
Illinois senate GOP leader Christine Radogno speaks to the media in 2016. - AP PHOTO/SETH PERLMAN, FILE
  • AP Photo/Seth Perlman, File
  • Illinois senate GOP leader Christine Radogno speaks to the media in 2016.

Welcome to the Reader's morning briefing for Friday, June 30, 2017. Have a great weekend!

  • Illinois senate Republican leader Christine Radogno to resign after state budget deadline

Illinois senate Republican leader Christine Radogno will resign from her senate seat and her leadership position, effective Saturday. The deadline for a state budget deal is Friday, the end of the 2017 fiscal year. "I have done everything I can do to resolve the state's budget crisis," Radogno said in a statement. "I will continue to do so for the coming days. But if the solution will not come on my watch, I hope and pray that the Governor, other legislative leaders, Democrats and Republicans in the Senate and House can find a path to solve the state's problems." She and Democratic senate president had negotiated a "grand bargain" to end the nearly two-year-long state budget impasse, but it was shot down in March when Governor Bruce Rauner said the deal did not go far enough. She was the first woman to lead one of the Illinois General Assembly's four legislative caucuses. [Sun-Times] [Tribune]

  • Chicago's minimum wage goes up to $11 an hour on July 1

The minimum wage will increase by 50 cents to $11 per hour in Chicago Saturday. The city's approximately 270,000 minimum-wage employees have seen it rise by a third since 2014, when it was $8.25 per hour. After that, it will continue to rise, moving up to $12 on July 1, 2018, then to $13 on July 1, 2019, after which any additional hikes will be based on cost-of-living increases as determined by federal officials. "If you work full-time, you shouldn't have to live in poverty," Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Wednesday. But workers' groups such as the Fight for $15 movement continue to press for a $15 per hour minimum—and both houses of the General Assembly have passed bills approving gradual increases toward that goal over the course of five years. Governor Rauner earlier this month called such measures "extreme." [DNAinfo Chicago] [State-Journal Register] [Tribune]

  • Emanuel introduces ordinance to increase pension contributions over the next five years

Meanwhile, Mayor Rahm Emanuel has introduced an ordinance that would raise the city's contributions to the city's municipal and laborers' pension plans over a five-year period, according to Pensions & Investments. The increased contributions would be paid for by the new water and sewer tax as well as a 2014 increase in monthly charges for emergency phone services. "Given the ongoing dysfunction in Springfield, the city is acting to codify in the municipal code the necessary pension contribution increases to the municipal and laborers' pension funds to prevent these funds from going insolvent," an Emanuel spokeswoman told the publication. The City Council may vote on the measure as soon as July. [Pensions & Investments]

  • Chance the Rapper donates his Grammy Award to the DuSable Museum

Chance the Rapper will donate his Grammy Award for best rap album to the DuSable Museum of African American History in Washington Park, he announced over the weekend. The award was the first Grammy ever awarded to a streaming-only album. "I'm so excited to not just work hand in hand with the African American History Museum, but we want to build it up," he said during a speech at the museum's Night of 100 Stars fund-raiser Saturday night. "We want to make it a staple of African American history." Chance, born Chancelor Bennett, and his father, Ken Bennett, an executive with the city's tourism marketing agency Choose Chicago, were both named to the museum's board in January. [Sun-Times]

  • Evanston man has received more than 150 text messages, 100 voice mails meant for Jimmy Butler

After former Chicago Bulls star Jimmy Butler, now traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves, gave out his phone number to the public during a press conference Thursday, an Evanston man quickly received more than 150 text messages and 100 voice mails meant for the NBA player. Michael Byrne has a phone number just one digit off from Butler's. "At first I heard my phone going off a bunch," Byrne told NBC Chicago Thursday. "When I checked it, I already had 37 missed calls. I got calls from Arkansas, Florida, New York City, and all over the country. I got voice mails and text messages all saying how much they supported me," said Byrne, who is currently between jobs and actively looking for work. "I don't follow sports, so I didn't know who Jimmy Butler was," he added. "I had to google his name, and then I saw that he had shared his number." [NBC Chicago]


Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment
 

Add a comment