Sign up for our newsletters Subscribe
Welcome to the Reader's weekday news brief.
The owners of the Chicago Bulls, Cubs, Blackhawks, Bears and White Sox are joining forces with the University of Chicago Crime Lab and donating $1 million to reduce gun violence in the city, according to the Sun-Times. The combined $1 million donated by the teams will go to the crime lab, a youth therapy program called Choose 2 Change, and training for Chicago Police technology centers. The donation was White Sox and Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf's idea, according to Bears chairman George McCaskey. "We are all deeply saddened every day when we read a new headline about shootings and violence in Chicago," Reinsdorf said. [Sun-Times]
Governor Bruce Rauner says Illinois is taking "aggressive action" to keep Quincy Veterans' Home resident, "but he declined to say if he bears any moral responsibility after more cases of Legionnaires' disease were found at the facility following a 2015 outbreak that left a dozen people dead," according to the Tribune. He also refused to say whether he's spoken with the families of any of the victims. "It's heartbreaking that anyone should suffer a health challenge or be exposed to bacteria and we are taking every step we can, every step we can, to keep our veterans safe and reviewing every option and being as aggressive as possible with every expert from around the nation," he said. [Tribune]
The significant decrease in shootings and homicides from 2016 to 2017 has the Chicago Police Department optimistic that gun violence rates will fall even more in 2018, according to CPD superintendent Eddie Johnson. "Certainly we're not claiming success," Johnson told WBEZ. "But the fact that we're a little bit over 20 percent down in overall shootings—and about 15 percent down in murders—is room for encouragement." President Donald Trump disregards the drop in violence numbers when he frequently blasts Chicago, Johnson said. "Those comments sometimes are a bit frustrating," he said. "And it's not frustrating for the obvious reasons, it's frustrating because that ignores the fact that we're now 100 homicides down from last year, 700 shootings down. It ignores that." [WBEZ] [h/t Politico Illinois Playbook]
Women have faced a culture of sexual harassment for decades at Chicago's Ford plants, according to the New York Times. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission recently "reached a $10 million settlement with Ford for sexual and racial harassment at the two Chicago plants" that went back about 25 years ago. Women who worked at the plant said they faced groping, graphic comments about their bodies, penis graffiti, and much more, but that, despite the lawsuit and the settlement, not much has changed. "For all the good that was supposed to come out of what happened to us, it seems like Ford did nothing," former employee Sharon Dunn, who sued Ford in the 1990s, said. "If I had that choice today, I wouldn't say a damn word." [New York Times]
A five-year-old boy has been shot for the second time in 18 months. Kavan Collins accidentally shot himself in the hand Tuesday night and was taken to a hospital in good condition. Collins was shot in the jaw by another person on June 28, 2016, while he was walking with his mother, brother, and a friend. [Tribune]
A fixture in River North for 31 years, Chicago Chop House is remodeling its Victorian building. The steak house, at 60 W. Ontario has started $1 million renovation that's expected to be completed in June. [Eater Chicago]