Animator James Blagden retells "the greatest athletic achievement by a man on a psychedelic journey" in his short film Dock Ellis & The LSD No-No, about the Pirates pitcher's perceptually enhanced 1970 no-hitter against the Padres. It screens Friday in Chicago Filmmakers' "New Documentary Showcase: Strange Careers," culled largely from recent festivals like Sundance, SXSW and Silverdocs.
• Bradley Beesley's Mr. Hypnotism, about convicted fraudster and former Lana Turner husband Dr. Ronald Pellar
• Vance Malone's The Poodle Trainer, about solitary Russian circus performer Irina Markova
• Jessica Edwards's Seltzer Works, about Brooklyn's last seltzer bottler Kenny Gomberg
• Maria Fortiz-Morse's Trash-Out, about workers emptying a foreclosed house
• Iban Del Campo's Dirty Martini, about the New York burlesque dancer
• Moonika Siimets's World Champion, about 82-year-old pole vaulter Herbert Sepp
It's Friday at 8 p.m. at 5243 N. Clark St.