Cold Water | Letters | Chicago Reader

News & Politics » Letters

Cold Water

by

Sign up for our newsletters Subscribe

comment

kapson.qxd

Kim Phillips-Fein's article ("The View From the Booth," May 15) correctly states the dangers of silver nitrate film. It was quite flammable, caused numerous fires, and led to fairly stringent building code rules regarding the construction of projection booths. However, it was not the cause of the 1903 Iroquois Theatre disaster.

The Iroquois, which had opened little more than a month before the fire, was a theater for theatrical productions--not motion pictures. There probably wasn't as much as a single frame of silver nitrate film on the premises. The cause of the fire was determined to have been a spark from a defective spotlight, which ended up setting a curtain on fire.

Ken Kapson

W. George

Kim Phillips-Fein replies:

Thanks for setting us straight.

Support Independent Chicago Journalism: Join the Reader Revolution

We speak Chicago to Chicagoans, but we couldn’t do it without your help. Every dollar you give helps us continue to explore and report on the diverse happenings of our city. Our reporters scour Chicago in search of what’s new, what’s now, and what’s next. Stay connected to our city’s pulse by joining the Reader Revolution.

Are you in?

  Reader Revolutionary $35/month →  
  Rabble Rouser $25/month →  
  Reader Radical $15/month →  
  Reader Rebel  $5/month  → 

Not ready to commit? Send us what you can!

 One-time donation  → 

Add a comment