[Photos] The car was ‘king’ at the 1909 Chicago Auto Show | Chicago Reader

[Photos] The car was ‘king’ at the 1909 Chicago Auto Show 

Share on Facebook
Tweet
Submit to Reddit
Email
OF 10
PREV NEXT
Chicago Public Library
The automobile page of the Chicago Examiner, which covered the show February 9, 1909.
Detroit Publishing Company Collection, Library of Congress
The Chicago Coliseum, located on Wabash between 14th Street and 16th Street, pictured here sometime between 1905 and 1907. The turrets that welcomed visitors to the first Chicago Auto Show in 1901 are a remnant from the building’s original use: a Confederate prison. The Coliseum hosted the auto show until 1935.
National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library
Cars on display at the First Regiment Armory, Michigan Avenue and 15th Street. A short walk from the Coliseum, the Armory also hosted the 1909 Chicago Auto Show.
National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library
A bird's-eye view of cars on display exhibit during the show
National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library
An exhibit of motorcycles by the German manufacturer NSU Motorenwerke.
National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library
A close-up view of a decoration depicting Mercury behind the wheel. The winged Roman deity was something of a mascot for the Chicago Auto Show in its early years.
National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library
A chassis on display.
National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library
The now-defunct Peoria-based Bartholomew Company’s Glide model on display during the show. The long exposure of the photo accounts for the ghostly figures around the cars.
National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library
More cars—and plants—on display.
National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library
A nighttime view of exhibits at the Coliseum
More slideshows
Danny O'Donnell21 images
Danny O'Donnell15 images
Brittany Sowacke20 images
1/10
Chicago Public Library
The automobile page of the Chicago Examiner, which covered the show February 9, 1909.