Education & Recreation 22
Parks & Beaches 24
Performing Arts 24
Shopping & Services 35
Visual Art 36
Rogers Park's past and present coexist remarkably well alongside each other—Prairie School suburban homes next to mid-20th-century apartment towers, adventurous housing projects next to traditional single-family homes. The buildings in this guide represent a few highlights from the neighborhood's various stages of development. —Alex Yablon
Emil Bach House Built in 1915 for the co-owner of a brick works, the Bach house is one of the few examples of Frank Lloyd Wright's late Prairie School work within Chicago city limits—a compact, urban configuration of the cantilevers and boxy massing found, for instance, in Oak Park's Laura Gale house. The interior embodies Wright's pioneering open plan, and still contains fixtures and furnishings specially designed for it by the architect. Overlapping perpendicular planes on the street-side facade hint at the Japanese-influenced style Wright was heading toward at the time. The house was declared a Chicago landmark in 1977 and added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1979. a7415 N. Sheridan, closed to the public. —AY
J. Benjamin Moulton House A bare few years before they got the commission to design Australia's capital city Canberra, Walter Burley Griffin and his wife, Marion Mahony Griffin, collaborated on this 1908 Prairie School house (which is a block away from the Bach house). Griffin had worked for Frank Lloyd Wright from 1901 to 1905, and his influence is evident here in the way the living room, with its cantilevered roof, juts away from the house's two-story core. But Griffin's own touches are apparent in details such as his use of thick, structural wood window mullions, as opposed to the more delicate lead and stained glass work favored by Wright and other Prairie School architects. The white-stucco-and-dark-wood exterior also suggests a Tudor influence. a1328 W. Sherwin, closed to the public. —AY
Lunt-Lake Apartments Upon completion in 1951, this trio of low- and mid-rise apartment buildings won international praise for its innovative construction techniques and Scandinavian influences. While the modernist orthodoxy was building glass-curtain-walled buildings supported by concrete-and-steel inner cores, the Chicago firm of Holsman, Holsman, Klekamp & Taylor used rowlock-bond brickwork to create a very thin, strong, and economical load-bearing exterior. Large, angled windows and unusual siting maximize sunlight. Conceived as a nonprofit, tenant-owned coop for lower-middle-class residents—and still run that way—the Lunt-Lake apartments seem especially innovative next to the bland projects built by th eChicago Housing Authority during the same period. a1122-1140 W. Lunt, closed to the public. —AY
Loyola University Chicago The lakeside Jesuit institution is in the process of developing a "Campus East" quad, defined in part by three linked buildings, two of which—the Elizabeth M. Cudahy Memorial Library and the Madonna della Strada Chapel—were created by high-end Chicago architect Andrew Rebori. Designed as a pair but built nine years apart due to the Great Depression, they process collegiate Gothic through the filter of art deco. While the 1930 library has spent the last 40 years wrapped in a windowless addition that obscures most of the original exterior, its south facade is still visible, and the main reading room retains its mural by John Warner Norton, known for his work at the Chicago Board of Trade.
The chapel, built to the south of the library in 1939, stands unmolested. Futuristic in a Buck Rogers sort of way, its streamlined exterior features a bell tower and extensive decorative stonework, including intricate geometric designs on the dramatic main entrance. The newly refurbished interior features a marble font, as well as paintings of the Stations of the Cross on gold leaf.
The Richard J. Klarchek Information Commons, barely a year old, is connected to the two Rebori buildings by covered, arched walkways. Built by the Chicago/San Francisco firm of Solomon Cordwell Buenz, this electronic resource center—a "library without books"—is most striking for its transparent main study areas and environmental bona fides. It's received LEED silver certification andincorporates an innovative natural ventilation system that conserves heat in the winter and cools the space in the summer.
a6525 N. Sheridan. The chapel is open to the public weekdays 7:30 AM-9 PM, Saturday 7:30 AM-5 PM, Sunday 7:30 AM until after the 9 PM mass; check luc.edu for the liturgical schedule. The library and Information Commons are closed to the public on weekends; during the week, tours of the commons can be arranged through Leslie Haas, 773-508-3949 or firstname.lastname@example.org. —AY