At 5 PM Saturday, March 21, Governor J.B. Pritzker's COVID-19 Executive Order No. 8, aka the Stay at Home order, took effect. Here's a daily-ish journal of how Reader staff, our friends, family—and our pets—are spending our time.
Day 66: May 25
What we’re reading:
- Chicago Reader contributor Lee Sandlin’s two-part essay “Losing the War,” which was first published in the Reader in March 1997. As former Reader staffer Whet Moser pointed out in 2010, you can listen to an abridged version of the work on this episode of This American Life.
- “The Filipino Veterans Movement,” via the American Experience page on PBS.org
What we’re watching:
- Asian Americans, a documentary series for PBS
- Amigo, the 2010 John Sayles film about the Philippine-American War in 1900 (streamable on Vudu and Amazon Prime)
What we’re listening to:
- Reader contributor Miles Raymer’s 2012 Memorial Day Cookout playlist
- Millennium Park at Home: House Music (originally livestreamed on Friday 5/22/20 by Chicago DCASE)
- The music of Marty Anderson
- Maryland Death Fest’s playlist of acts scheduled to perform in 2021
What we’ve got on the grill: