One pleasure of living in Hyde Park is the tolling of the University of Chicago's carillon bells. The carillon at Rockefeller Memorial Chapel, donated by John D. Rockefeller Jr. in 1932, is the second largest in the world; its 72 bells were cast in an English foundry, and range from 10-pounders to 19-ton heavyweights. The stationary bells are struck by clappers wired to an organlike console. The carillonneur controls both dynamics and rhythm by playing on a double row of keys and a pedal board. Every summer on Sunday nights masters from the U.S. and Europe demonstrate the 500-year-old art of carillon playing. This Sunday the chapel's longtime carillonneur, Wylie Crawford (a computer vendor by trade), will perform a medley of tunes to celebrate the Fourth of July. Listeners are encouraged to picnic on the lawn surrounding the tower; more athletic ones can climb the tower to observe Crawford in action. (There's no admission charge.) Sunday, 6 PM, Rockefeller Memorial Chapel, University of Chicago, 5850 S. Woodlawn; 702-2100.